27 November 2017

It was a bit of a surprise waking up on Monday to the sound of rain and wind – so much for waking up early to go for a run, so I went back to sleep instead! It was still raining at 7am when I went to morning meeting and found that all of the guests had opted to return to camp, which led to a quiet morning for us; after the rain died down, the trackers followed up on the lion tracks from last night, but they sadly headed back to Ingwelala after only a brief visit to our side.

I had some new and return guests, and without much to follow up on, I took it easy in the north and saw impala, waterbuck, hippos, baboons and crocodiles around Argyle Dam before Kevn relocated on the wild dogs that had been seen lat in the morning on our western boundary. Together with a rhino in the area, this drew all the vehicles to that spot, so I bumbled about until things calmed down a bit, but when the wild dogs bumped into Goya Rd male leopard, I realised that there would be no calming down, so I went to the rhino first and spent time with the bull as he walked around grazing before making my way towards the wild dog pups and one adult with a broken leg; they had stayed behind to finish off a young impala as the adults went hunting elsewhere. They were on our tarred access road when we caught up to them, and eventually turned back south to where they had been left, and as we were getting ready to leave, the adults retuned after a failed hunt and the pack settled. With the wind blowing, and us being much colder than we should have at the end of November, we decided to head back to the lodge and pass on the drinks – we did pass some elephant bulls playing around near a mud wallow that filled after this morning’s 6mm and the weekends 9mm of rain. We saw some impala and a lone wildebeest on the way back to the camp and ended off the evening with a large-spotted genet and a hyena passing by our dinner venue after the wind died down, which will hopefully make tomorrow a more pleasant day!